Holy Swordsman

Make Forums Show your game Holy Swordsman

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jjohndoe 3 weeks, 6 days ago. This post has been viewed 709 times

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

jjohndoe
    Participant

The game is still a work-in-progress, and apparently updates every time I am able to work on it. I hope that people will check back ever now and then to see how the story and game itself has come along.

The conversations change as the story progresses, so you should talk to people more than once. All doors are usable, and after you talk to the King it will be less linear, you should explore and talk to everyone before progressing through the main story. A lot of jokes throughout the game. Most signs, and some books can be read to help you on your way. Try reading/interacting with anything that seems to stand out to you. Please enjoy

Play the game here:

Comprehensible

Whoa, this was really cool! First of all, the rooms are gorgeous. I can tell you spent a lot of time on it! The level design, while linear, is intuitive, and always guides the player in the right direction. You actually used the new combat system! I really liked that element. Also the story is really good! My main suggestion regards the text. There’s a lot of it, and while it’s not a particularly bad thing, you just have to be careful that it doesn’t get boring. Your story structure is really nice, I like how you build it up piece by piece, but it sometimes feels a little info-dumpy. Actually, one thing I like to do is add a lot of little invisible actors around so players can discover the story if they want, or just skip past it if they just want gameplay. Also, the story, oh my gosh I loved that part! You really built it up well, piece by piece. I was genuinely surprised at some bits, especially the magic shop and then suddenly you’re teleported and I was like whoa! Sorry is my writing geek showing? It’s showing. Sorry for rambling so long. Great work, and I really can’t wait to see what you make next!

jjohndoe
    Participant

Thank you. I have been using the invisible actors as signs, ways to talk to NPCs from a distance, books, and notes. How else would you use them? Like when you find a random skeleton or locked door?

I was also planning on making the game longer. If you know where to go, skip through the conversations, and walk past the monsters (since the health system isn’t in yet), the game only takes a few minutes to finish. That is why I try to make the NPCs as unique as possible, and try to make all the doors and buildings accessible. I plan on this actually only being the introduction to everything.

I would liketo thank the people who created this site. I cannot afford some of the 3D software like softimage, and I like classical RPGs like Zelda and Fire Emblem. Finding this site has brought back some good memories.

Comprehensible

That’s a good goal, making all the NPCs as unique as possible! It’s something I struggle with too, balancing out character personality with amount of text. It’s just something good to keep in mind, whether a piece of dialogue or reaction by the main character is absolutely essential for the man plot.

As for the stuff scattered around, it’s actually a great way to take some weight off the dialogue. You actually did this in the scene “Goddess_Throne_Room,” where you had the little side room the players could explore if they wanted. That was well done! It pointed to some interesting implications about the goddess.

Here’s an example: I once made a character named Olori, and he was the ruler of town steadily sinking into an inky void. On first impression, he’s put together, giving you your quest for the area. However, if you look around his house, you will find dirty porcelain dishes. An unmade bed. Open liquor bottles scattered across the table. These little details, which are totally optional, paint a very different picture of him.

Hey, I’m glad you like it! 😀 deWiTTERS made this all himself. (It’s pretty amazing!) He’s active on the discord, if you want to pop in and say hi! We’d love to have you!

jjohndoe
    Participant

I will keep that in mind. Thank you. I may have to create a discord account then. However, I don’t have a mic. I know most people on discord are very strict about that.

greatGam3R
    Participant

Really cool game, good level design. Look forward to more!

Also, I don’t have a mic and im on the discord, they treat just fine. I didn’t see any certain rules about having a mic so yeah!

deWiTTERS
    Keymaster

We almost exclusively do text chatting. Good thing for pointing this out, so I can make it more clear in my message.

jjohndoe
    Participant

Thank you. I’ll make a discord account and look into your stuff later. Thanks again.

jjohndoe
    Participant

Chapter One is done. I will add a new character to the ‘first’ scene that can teleport you to chapter two once I work on it more.

Chapter two will let you decide which areas you want to go. The chapter 2 starting area will give you a choice of 3 locations to warp to. I will eventually connect all three after I create their maps. So far, I only have one map for one area in chapter two done. Chapter two will also focus more on combat. I can’t wait for the combat update :Þ

DrownsInCancer
    Participant

Is it supposed to start out in a black background?

jjohndoe
    Participant

No. It is a bug that changes random rooms to all black. I don’t know why. It happened when I resized Lost Forrest Center for Chapter 2, it happened to several of the maps. It’s ruined 🙁

Thank you for pointing that out. I’ll post it on the discord page.

deWiTTERS
    Keymaster

Hey, I tested this in the beta version, but it’s still all black. I will see where it goes wrong and fix it.

deWiTTERS
    Keymaster

Oh man this makes me so happy: I was able to restore the broken tilemaps from the last valid backup of the 21st of July. On the 22nd those maps (1 to 24) became corrupt.

I don’t know exactly what happened to these maps, but I’m glad I was able to restore them :).

jjohndoe
    Participant

Thank you, very much! I see that the combat is available for the normal version of the game as well! Thanks again, man!

jjohndoe
    Participant

Hey all! Iam taking a new medication that is making tired most of the time, but I am still trying to get this done when I can. I have added a shrine in the scene “Outside spawn” that lets you teleport to Chapter Two early in the game if you want more combat. I have not got many things done in Chapter Two yet though.

The Lost Forrest area in Chapter Two is about half-way finished, but I am not sure that I have got the warp pads right with this new medicine. If anyone can help me make sure that everything goes to where it should I’d appreciate it. I made a map of the Lost Forrest maze area (or tried to) but I ended up not making the maze as large as I would have liked to.

Lost Forrest Map

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.