Welcome Forums Requests Modding API

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    intenscia
    Participant

Hey Koen, I saw your RPG Playground on IndieDB.com. I’m curious to know if you need a modding API to allow people to browse, upload and share the RPG’s they have created? We recently launched mod.io an API for developers to add mod support to their games.

We are on the hunt for interesting games to integrate and promote across our network. Keen to know if we can help!

deWiTTERS
    Keymaster

Hey Intenscia,

Really cool to have you on our forum! You did a really nice job with moddb.com and indiedb.com, and I hope you can manage to get mod.io as popular as those platforms.

I looked into mod.io when it was released, but I’m afraid it doesn’t fit into the concept of RPG Playground. Currently my backend is all custom made (and pretty simple), but it allows me to have full control over what might come in the future. Things such as versioning, live editing with multiple people, … probably needs a custom solution.
    Some users also don’t want to their game to be publicly visible. And each game needs to support comments, rating, etc.

Also don’t underestimate the number of games. I’m now hosting 8464 projects, so when my platform really takes off (fingers crossed ;)), that number could increase significantly. In that case, I need custom algorithms to sort the most popular games (probably based on playtime, not number of views).

So in the end I don’t think it makes sense for me to use a mod API. But I’m always open to discuss this further with you.

PS: I was looking into adding RPG Playground to IndieDB, and in the end it was your presskit() support that pulled me in.

intenscia
    Participant

Always on the hunt for interesting projects – saw yours on indiedb today and thought it be nicer to reach out through your community. Rest assured you always have our support!

We are hopeful mod.io takes off, user generated content has always been a strong passion of ours and amazing to do if you can pull it off. Regarding your feedback I assumed that you had something custom built and completely understand your reasons. I was merely presenting it as an option for your consideration. I will offer some counter points anyhow!

• Editing will always be something you do in-house. mod.io is primarily designed to showcase and distribute the finished version, so I don’t think that would change
    • We have a custom metadata system, so you could attach versioning information to files or entire mods – any arbitary data you want actually
    • We support comments and ratings for all mods (games in your case) submitted via the API. Our system allows nesting, flagging, complex weightings to prioritize a game which has 10 ratings of 9 over a game which has 1 rating of 10 for example
    • We’d welcome the challenge of supporting 8464+ games. Our system is fully paginated and designed for that – we already do up to 8gigs per sec on ModDB.com, so scaling is a strength of ours
    • Playtime is a little more complex, it could be a metadata field you use like above. Again one of our strengths is possibly the most powerful sorting and filtering system possible – you can literally do it on any field

All up I think *we could* do everything you require, though admittedly it would be more work initially, but pay off in the long run. The benefit would be our ability to scale, provide strong support around the boring stuff like moderation, DMCA etc – so you can focus on your tools.

If you are interested i’d be happy to jump on a call, but as I said above i’m just super happy you are active on IndieDB and you always have our support and we cannot wait to see you reach that “big hit” moment. Keep it up!

deWiTTERS
    Keymaster

I didn’t anticipate such a strong response :). You raise some valid points there, especially the scaling part.

I’m going to take a closer look at your system, and will let you know what I decided and why.

I really appreciate your contacting me, and giving such extended advice. Thanks!

intenscia
    Participant

I like to think of ourselves as part of your team as your success is our success and vice versa. So anything we can do to make that reality is important, and effectively be a team at your disposal giving you the functionality needed to grow 🙂

Oh and welcome to our Discord!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.