Skip to toolbar

Hero Can Walk While A Walk Command Is Executed

Welcome Forums Bugs Hero Can Walk While A Walk Command Is Executed

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Marby. This post has been viewed 51 times
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Marby
    Participant

Actually I’m not sure, if this is a bug:
    I managed (against my purpose 😉 ) to let the hero walk by using the arrow keys while a walk command is executed. Actually, I up to now thought the player input for the action button as well as the arrow keys is disabled while the engine executes a walk command. But this obviousely is not always the case.

Sometimes this may come in handy (e. g. if we would like the hero to have a race against another actor – although, I’m pretty sure this is not possible with RPG Playground yet). In my case I would like to create another cut scene and therefore have to depend on the heroes position. If the hero can be moved by the player while the other actors executes a walking command letting walk the hero afterwards by screenplay would result in an unexpected behavior.

To solve this, I tried to dectivate the interface as a workaround:
    interface becomes inactive
    I could swear this worked in the past, but currently has not any effect. Above that, I’m not sure if deactivating the interface also will deactivate the players possibility to answer a says- or gives-choices-for-command. If it is also intended for this, we could not use that command as a workaround.

Any idea to prevent the player from moving the hero around or swinging the weapon in cut scenes?

Marby
    Participant

Okay, to prevent the hero from swinging the weapon is an easy one. We just can deactivate the weapon. But to be honest, this one also is not e really good idea, because it is displayed to the player that the weapon suddently disappeared – even if we give this ability back after the cut scene ends. The unexpected walking is a bigger problem.

Marby
    Participant

To remove the impact of this one wasn’t easy. I tried a lot:
    – I created another invisible button and created my screenplay there
    – I added a says-command before the walks-to-command
    – I deleted the NPC and used another NPC. After that, I changed the sprite to the NPC I actually needed for my game.
    – I saved the changes and reloaded the game multiple times
    None of the changes helped.
    Therefore, I started my cutscene from scratch and first tried to let the NPC walk (x=0, y=20) for testing, if the hero meanwhile is still able to walk too while the NPCs walk-command is running. With only the walk command in the screenplay nothing has happend at all (the NPC was standing still), but the engine said that my screenplay is correct! I inserted a:
    hero says “Executed!”
    at the end of the screenplay. Hereafter, the walk command hasn’t been excecuted, but the text window said “Executed!”. Then I changed my x/y values for the walks-to-command in x=0, y=5. The NPC walked as intended and the arrow keys were deactivated. Because this was the desired behaviour, I instantly saved that version of my game.

That was pretty strange. Fortunatelly, the bug hasn’t returned yet.

Marby
    Participant

Unfortunately, the walking bug compromises my game again. At least I’ve finished that cut-scene. For everyone of you, who also are struggling with that bug:
    To initialize a cut-scene with the “hero walks towards”-command instead of the “hero walks to”-command helps a little to have the hero at least after that command in the right position. However, the player keeps control of the hero and therefore still is able to accidentally or indended destroy your cut-scene afterwards.

deWiTTERS
    Keymaster

Does this only happen when your cutscene goes from 1 level to another level?

Marby
    Participant

Up to now, I’ve two cut-scenes in my game. The bug only has an impact on the cut-scene you also can see in the video. Feel free to access my game, even if it is private. If you follow the steps, I’m explaining in the video, you’ll be able to reproduce the bug.

+1
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.