Sword of Destiny

Welcome Forums Show your game Sword of Destiny

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    EBMCGames
    Participant

Your name is Albert Tealeaf. You are a man trying to defeat the evil dragon Eigharth. To do so, you must traverse the land and collect the parts of a mystical sword that can defeat him.

Good luck…

Play the game here:

Comprehensible

This is a good game that is so close to being an amazing one!

For one, your morality system is SUPER IMPRESSIVE. IN ALL CAPS. Seriously, I was taking a look at that, and man, it brings me back to when I did three routes in Falling Glory; I thought that was hard! And look at the end screen, you did at least 10! All hats off to you!

One thing is that it’s really hard to know where to go. Invisible actors and invisible doors are, well, invisible, and can be very hard for a clueless player (like me) to locate on a screen. Maybe use the glowy blue doors, and put in some markers for the important invisible actors?

On that thread, none of the NPCs or signs really let you know where to go. I sort of blindly stumbled around, and I got the psychopath ending? Even though I didn’t realize I was doing something wrong until it told me I was a monster? It sort of puzzled me. Maybe have some more quest giving NPCs (good job on the blacksmith!) and some signs giving information.

It might be a good idea not to put your real name in your game? I mean, it’s a matter of personal preference, but just to be safe?

Lastly, be monsters need to be spread out a lot, since they sorta self destruct if they’re cramped too close together. XD

This is really really impressive! Awesome work, and I really can’t wait to see how this progresses! ๐Ÿ˜€

EBMCGames
    Participant

Thanks. The version currently shown is actually patched; in 1.0, it was impossible to retain the best ending. Also, how bad was your ending? There are multiple Psychopath Endings. There’s one where you simply have the bloodied smile token, which you get by staring at the chasm, one where you get the token “TrueBlade” as well as some redemption, where you’re taunted for not being truly evil, and one where you aren’t even redeemed and you get sent to Hell.

As far as the invisible actors go, this was because if I had them visible, it would slightly ruin the looks of the places where I put them.

I’ve noticed that the monsters kill each other if there’s a close enough proximity. This ruins the final boss, but, given the right state of mind, can really impact what the player thinks of the worst ending.

Although, I’ve been thinking. Maybe I should add some lingering morality. An example of this would be the 2015 indie RPG Undertale. Completing a Genocide run doesn’t prevent you from becoming a True Pacifist, but it screws up the ending so that everyone dies anyway.

Maybe I could have it so that you get a token called “I’m an a-hole” or something, which you receive upon escaping Hell in the worst ending. I should also add a token called “Good Karma” which you get from getting the best ending, which can cancel the effects of the former token.

As far as my real name goes, that’s just for name recognition when I’m older and making money off of games.

The quest giving NPCs were actually a bit more common. The two that could be noticed would be the barkeep and the blacksmith. However, there were three others, when you think about it. The old man next to the well tells you about how its the source of great strife, the paladin just outside of the village tells the player that they can seek absolution from a cleric, and the mage at the fourth dungeon’s entrance has different dialogue if you have the Sword of Destiny.

So that’s my reply.

EBMCGames

EBMCGames
    Participant

Thanks again on your thoughts on the morality system. I try my best. The number of endings actually means something here; the morality is so complex I can’t explain it simply. The simplest I can get it is how I explained it to a friend- keep the blacksmith happy. If you upset him, you won’t get the best ending. If he’s not completely happy, but not pissed off, you just need to grab a few more things.

Comprehensible

Hallo again! ๐Ÿ˜€

Dude, I love Undertale! Lingering mortality sounds really cool. I’m not sure how you would do it, considering that tokens reset in between games, but I’m sure you can figure something out!

I understand that the blue doors slightly ruin the look of the scene, but the doors are really hard to find. You need your players to know where to go. I’ve seen some people use arrows (like bow and arrow) to mark doors, or columns or something. There’s lots of cool things you could try out!

Keep the blacksmith happy – I’ll keep that in mind! However, if I was just a noob, (like I am) how would I know that? How do I know which areas to visit first, what order to do them in? At just a glance, how do I know he’s a blacksmith if there’s no blacksmithing materials in his home? These are good questions to keep in mind.

I’m really sorry if I’m coming off as overly critical. When I made my first game, Aura and Mystify left me really great, honest feedback, and it really helped me, so I’m trying to pay it forward.

Oh hey also, we have a discord now! I’d love to see you there! ๐Ÿ˜€

EBMCGames
    Participant

I know that tokens resetting would be an issue in some cases, but one would reasonably try to fix the ending after getting the worst ending. Sorry about the doors. I had some obvious, as in the case of the Level 2 and 4 entrances, the tavern entrance, and the blacksmith entrance. In other cases, it felt best to have multiple spaces where the path would lead the same direction, but one door meant less work and confusion.

But I’ll consider your feedback.

Aura

Hey,

The ideas you put into this project are amazing! I like the mines and the inside of the houses (tavern and blacksmith). It’s true, that the doors are somewhat difficult to find… But Comp already mentioned this! One thing I recognized is that some levels lack tiles (level ‘Mines’ and levels ‘first’ and ‘Faber_Village’ behind the doors to tavern and blacksmith’s home), but well I guess that is not so important… You noticed somewhere that the monsters attack each other and that you want to create a boss level. The fighting system is currently under development and koonsolo is working on this. If you want to take a glance at the newest version of RPG playground, you can ask at discord if you may be a beta tester…

I hope to see more updates for this game! I like it so far!

Best wishes,

~Aura

EBMCGames
    Participant

Thanks, Aura, for the additional feedback. I’ve noticed the lack of tiles behind the tavern door. I had to deal with that during testing. However, that went practically unnoticed, as I was busy working on the ending screen so that it wouldn’t send you back to “first” in the Best Ending.

About the monsters attacking each other…that’s really only a noticeable issue in the last room of Level 4 and the Demonic Finale(Worst Ending). However, I’ll look into the beta’s fighting system. Thanks for mentioning that.

EBMCGames

EBMCGames
    Participant

Okay, I patched it. The doors seem to work just fine now, and I changed how the dragon works. I also added paths to the Clerical Circle to make the door a bit more noticeable.

EBMCGames

EBMCGames
    Participant

I updated the game, and I hope this patch is the last one I have to make. The hero now has 75 hp rather than 30, making the game a bit easier.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar