Thing I wish I knew

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Macmor
    Participant

Post anything you wish you knew before you started creating your game.

Macmor
    Participant

Fireflies or Stars: This is one I learned from Niko. I had no idea that there is actually a light source in “REFMAP buildings”. It’s very hard to see…

You can use this in many ways, for example:

Throw some shadows over some and you get varying degrees of light. Just something I wish I knew from the beginning.

Macmor
    Participant

Here’s one I wish I knew before I started…
    Starting your game with music: For some reason the game doesn’t load playing BMG. There are 2 ways around this.
    #1: Starting a new game: Start by making a map (doesn’t matter what kind). You only need 1 tile for this so you can make the map small. The first map you make is your starting point and wherever your hero is standing will be their starting position. Make an invisible tile directly under the hero. Next step, make a new map the way and look you planned for your starting map. Put an Invisible door on the tile you want your hero to start the game on. Name it whatever you want but don’t make the door go anywhere. Next, go back to the original map and edit the invisible tile…
    when touched – hero teleports to door (the invisible door you placed in the other map)
    Done.

#2: If you’ve already started your game: It’s almost the same process. Make a new map. Make sure you name it so you can find it easier. (I’ll call it “intro”). Make an Invisible door that goes nowhere (I’ll call it “intro door 1”). Go to the map you have your game start in (I’ll call it “start”), make an invisible door that goes nowhere on the tile your hero is on( I’ll call it “start door 1”). Next, make an invisible tile 1 tile away from the heroes starting tile (I’ll call it “start tile 2”) and move your hero onto it. Now you want to edit that invisible tile…
    -“start tile 2” -when touched – hero teleports to door at “intro door 1”.
    -“start tile 2” -becomes inactive.
    Next, go to the “intro” map. Create an invisible tile (I’ll call it intro tile 1) next…
    -“intro tile 1” – when touched – hero teleports to “start door 1”
    Now move that invisible tile onto the Invisible door to nowhere.
    Done.

Either way, you’ll start your game with whatever BGM you have set for your starting map. Any questions let me know.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.