Welcome Forums Requests Suggestion – Screen Effects (?)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James Nick
    Participant

I have no idea how I could explain this but it’s extremely frustrating having to use the shadow blocks on a 50×50 map just to make it look night time. I would love to propose this idea in which you have the ability to overlay some sort of effect (basically a picture), on top of the game depending on the map. You could give us like 5 or 6 effects to start up, it makes the game look more natural and glowy in my opinion.

I originally wanted to make a fairy forest but I couldn’t find little glow bulbs on the tilesets aswell which was okay, it just becomes very frustrating when it comes to the night scenes where I literally have to fill the map with shadow blocks not knowing if the other tiles will be affected, LOL

Here’s some that I had in mind – Night time, Bright Morning, Fantasy Forest, Underworld, Horror-ish vignette(?) – could explain or show examples if needed.

I don’t know how long a feature like this might take but I’d really love to see this feature!

I really hope you’d consider this idea, it will open a wider variety for us to create and make the game look more natural and appealing.

deWiTTERS
    Keymaster

This has indeed been in the back of my head for some time now. Day, night, sunny, rain, snow, lightning flashes, … .

Technically I want to do this using shaders (if you are familiar with this). So I definitely made sure my new tech can support this. This could result into such a thing:

Tooth and tail

So it is possible, and maybe getting a “night” level wouldn’t be that much work. I have to look into it.

James Nick
    Participant

That looks amazing! It’s been kind of hard considering we’re trapped with only making day scenes, so thank you for considering.

Aura

Amazing! Would like to see that implemented! *thumbs up*

deWiTTERS
    Keymaster

I bumped this higher into my todo list. And I mean really high :).

First reason is that games are always first judged by their looks. If you look at an RPG Playground game, first thing anyone will think is “It’s an RPG Maker game”. I want to change that.

On a technical side, this means I will use GPU shaders and particles to try and get those nice looking effects.

I’ve updated the roadmap accordingly.

I will post some reference material here soon (I mean in the next minute ;))

deWiTTERS
    Keymaster

The game Eastwards has some nice light effects for reference.

deWiTTERS
    Keymaster

I’ve been experimenting a bit with some levels. Let me show you some stuff (levels by Mistify and Aura)

Aura

Wow – so great! Weather effects sure make our games look more alive! I would like to use a day/night circle for my games in the future too, that would be awesome… ^-^

And… will there be water tiles any time soon?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.