You will also notice that no dates or deadlines are specified. Features are implemented as fast as possible and released when they are ready. So you won’t have to wait for the next major release to use them.
If you don’t agree with something, want to prioritize features or request new functionality, let me know in the comments below, or email me at email@example.com.
Any feedback on this is welcome! 🙂
- 1 Release 1.0: Action Adventure
- 2 Release 2.0: More RPG features
- 3 Release 3.0: Turn-Based (Pokemon) Combat
- 4 Release 4.0: Custom resources
- 5 Release 5.0: Export your game
- 6 Release 6.0: More platforms
- 7 Secret Master Plan
- 8 Far distant features
Release 1.0: Action Adventure
Goal of this release: You can create, share and play, top-down 2D action adventure games, in the style of The Legend of Zelda. This is a “no-loose-ends” version of RPG Playground.
4 phases remain to be done:
- More game functionality (currently working on this!)
- More community features
- Easier user interface
More game functionality
- Win and lose screens
- Includes restarting the game. Arcade mode: always restarts the entire game, so no save points!
- Action based combat (no turn-based yet).
- The hero is able to swing a sword and kill monsters.
- Hero kills monsters
- Monsters hurt hero
- Hero can die
- Health potion pickups
- Sound and Music
More community features
The community features will be available on the website, not in RPG Playground itself yet.
- Instant share with the community: The current share dialog will be adapted so you can instantly share your game with the RPG Playground community. It will then get its own page on the RPG Playground website, and appear in the “new/updated games” list. Others will be able to play and comment on it.
- Game statistics: You want to know how many people played your game, for how long, and how many were able to complete it? These statistics will tell you everything!
Easier user interface
- Screenplay creation wizard
- Screenplays are currently created using text. I don’t like this, and want to introduce an easy to use wizard to add actions. This way you can click through some dialogs, and easily add functionality. This also means you don’t have to read through the manual to know what can be done with screenplays, you don’t get programming errors, etc.
- More user friendly interface
- Some things are really cumbersome at the moment, like selecting an actor to change the screenplay. I want to make this way more user friendly and easier.
- Drag & Drop adding of actors and scenery
- Autotiles: Easier to quickly design ground elements like roads, water, grass, sand, etc.
- Auto-objects: Easier to manipulate scenery objects such as trees, furniture, etc.
Release 2.0: More RPG features
- Animated tiles: water, waterfalls, lava, … would really make the game more compelling.
- Simple quest text: The current quest will be shown in a corner of the screen. This way you can guide your player to the next objective.
- Includes new screenplay action.
- New screenplay action: info dialog with icon. This action will show a popup dialog, containing custom text. You can also show an icon, so together with tokens, you can simulate receiving items.
- New screenplay action: actor shows text: Next to actors saying something, this action will show some text right above the actor. This is useful for actors that don’t have a face images such as monsters and interactive objects such as treasure chests, signs, … .
- New screenplay action: player chooses: This action will show a dialog where the player can choose one of the available options. This can be used for responding to NPC’s, so you have conversation trees.
- Start of level screenplay: Now only actors support custom screenplays. But this will add screenplays to levels, so when the level starts, a certain sequence of actions is triggered. Great way to create scripted cut-scenes.
- Tutorial at startup: Guides newbies through the most basic elements would be convenient.
- Item management (includes shops to buy/sell items)
- Gold management
- Experience points (XP)
Release 3.0: Turn-Based (Pokemon) Combat
This release adds turn-based combat that can be used instead of the action based fighting.
A lot of users want to make their own Pokemon game, so this release will support collecting monsters, training them, and letting them fight.
Release 4.0: Custom resources
- Upload your own graphics for tilesets, characters, gui, …
- Easier level creation using ground autotiles + extra tools
- Animated tiles
- Extend scenery toolset (single object selection)
- Extra default tilesets
Universal LPC Character support
Release 5.0: Export your game
Export your game to all kinds of platforms, so you can sell your game commercially.
Release 6.0: More platforms
Mobile Browser Support
After a few modifications to make RPG Playground touch friendly, a Mobile App might be released. You can continue working on your project from a tablet or smartphone. Great way to kill time at boring parties ;).
Standalone Desktop and Console Version
I might consider releasing a standalone application of RPG Playground (Windows, Mac OS, Linux, XBox, PlayStation, Nintendo). But his is not certain yet, and only when a high number of users want this.
Benefits of the online version:
- Use the latest features (newer than in the latest official standalone version)
- Access from anywhere
- Online storage, automatic backup
- Direct feedback on bugs and issues
- No illegal pirated copies
I understand why people want a standalone version:
- No internet connection required
- You own your own copy of the software
- Always the same version
Secret Master Plan
You might see RPG Playground as a little toy that you can play with. And at the moment, it probably is. But I have big plans for the future, and want to explain them here. My master plan basically comes down to this:
- Build a tool that allows anyone to make their own Role Playing Games, and easily let others play their game.
- Make sure artists can make an RPG using their own graphics, without the need of a programmer.
- Make sure programmers can make a game without the need of an artist.
- Programmers will extend the engine, so any game type can be build at this time: platformers, 3D, … .
The most important feature of the engine will remain that it’s easy to make and share your own games.
Phase 1: Game Designers
Phase 2: Artists
Phase 3: Programmers
Far distant features
An undo feature that persists over multiple sessions. This allows you to specifically undo any past action. It will also allow you to collaborate with others, and integrate their changes into your game.
As a crazy idea, this would be the wikipedia of games, where a game can be build by an entire community. Or as an open source project, where the owner of the game can import changes that other people did.
Side Scrolling Levels
This release enables creating platform games, but also more complex Metroidvania style games.
Single player games are fun, but multiplayer games take it to an entirely new dimension. Making a mutliplayer RPG by yourself is not an easy task. But with RPG Playground, anyone can add multiplayer support to their game. You don’t need to host a server, take care of security etc. Everything you need will be provided by RPG Playground. Quick and easy, as it should be.
Generic 2D Game Editor
This release allows you to make any 2D game you want. But the ease of use to create RPG’s will still be available!
Instead of the normal 2D graphics, a 3D world is now displayed, in which you can navigate. You can now make 3D role playing games.