Please see our Public Roadmap on Trello, which gives a detailed overview of what I’m working on, what is planned for the near future, and what are things that are considered for the far future. You can even influence which features will be implemented next, by voting on your favorite topics. So please go check it out here!
Remark that nothing on the roadmap is certain. Features might change, priorities might shift, etc.
You will notice that no dates or deadlines are specified. Features are implemented as fast as possible and released when they are ready. So you won’t have to wait for the next major release to use them.
Next to the detailed Trello roadmap, below is a more general roadmap of things to come.
Any feedback on this is welcome! 🙂
Release 1.0: Action Adventure
Goal of this release: You can create, share and play, top-down 2D action adventure games, in the style of The Legend of Zelda. This is a “no-loose-ends” version of RPG Playground.
The gameplay needs to feel and look
good awesome! If you see a screenshot or animated GIF, you just want to play the game. When you play the game, it needs to be fun and addictive.
Release 2.0: More RPG features
- Bullet shooter support with mouse aiming.
- New screenplay action: actor shows text: Next to actors saying something, this action will show some text right above the actor. This is useful for actors that don’t have a face images such as monsters and interactive objects such as treasure chests, signs, … .
- Start of level screenplay: Now only actors support custom screenplays. But this will add screenplays to levels, so when the level starts, a certain sequence of actions is triggered. Great way to create scripted cut-scenes.
- Tutorial at startup: Guides newbies through the most basic elements would be convenient.
- Item management (includes shops to buy/sell items)
- Gold management
- Experience points (XP)
Release 3.0: Turn-Based (Pokemon) Combat
This release adds turn-based combat that can be used instead of the action based fighting.
A lot of users want to make their own Pokemon game, so this release will support collecting monsters, training them, and letting them fight.
Release 4.0: Custom resources
- Upload your own graphics for tilesets, characters, gui, …
- Easier level creation using ground autotiles + extra tools
- Animated tiles
- Extend scenery toolset (single object selection)
- Extra default tilesets
Universal LPC Character support
Secret Master Plan
You might see RPG Playground as a little toy that you can play with. And at the moment, it probably is. But I have big plans for the future, and want to explain them here. My master plan basically comes down to this:
- Build a tool that allows anyone to make their own Role Playing Games, and easily let others play their game.
- Make sure artists can make an RPG using their own graphics, without the need of a programmer.
- Make sure programmers can make a game without the need of an artist.
- Programmers will extend the engine, so any game type can be build at this time: platformers, 3D, … .
The most important feature of the engine will remain that it’s easy to make and share your own games.
Below is an image of our roadmap with all possible features.
- White area: what we are working towards now
- Light-grey area: next focus
- Dark-grey area: Would love to get this far! 🙂