Welcome Forums Get help Stop discussion

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jojo
    Participant

Hi! I’m not sur if this has been asked, but here’s my question: Is there a way to stop a discussion with an NPC while keeping them active?

Basically, I want my NPC to say something different everytime I talk to her. I tried using tokens and numbers, but it doesn’t seem to work. My NPC just says all the text everytime I touch her.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Joël

shay slay
    Participant

So I got this from @marby (he wrote this amazing tutorial), and I’ve used it in my games and it totally works! It’s using a number variable instead of a token variable, which is genius. Here’s the example he sent me:

if hero number of “Spoken with OldBill” = 0
    OldBill says “Do you see the dog over here? His name is Junior.”
    if hero number of “Spoken with OldBill” = 1
    OldBill says “If you ask me, Junior is behaving strange lately.”
    if hero number of “Spoken with OldBill” = 2
    OldBill says “He’s calm all the time… almost majestic.”
    OldBill says “He didn’t used to be like that.”
    if hero number of “Spoken with OldBill” = 3
    OldBill says “Just take a look in his eyes. Don’t they look strangely knowing?”
    if hero number of “Spoken with OldBill” = 4
    OldBill says “People already think I’m crazy. Do you also think so?”
    if hero number of “Spoken with OldBill” = 5
    OldBill says “You simply have no respect for age anymore.”
    if hero number of “Spoken with OldBill” < 5
    hero number of “Spoken with OldBill” increases with 1

So what happens is the first time you talk, you only get the first message: “Do you see the dog over here? His name is Junior.”

The second time, you only get the second message: “If you ask me, Junior is behaving strange lately.”

And this goes on, one at a time. When it gets to the last message, it simply repeats that last line. Your character remains interesting and active! Hope this helps 🙂

//Sidenote: You have to format the screenplay correctly though. Make sure to indent 4 spaces on the ‘says’ lines in order to get it to work!//

jojo
    Participant

Thank you! This is very helpful! I’ve managed to do something close to what I wanted with the tokens (I didn’t know we had to put the 4 spaces at the start of a line), but this looks more simple and I could use it later in my game! Thanks a lot! 🙂

kyuukage
    Participant

To answer Jojo’s question, I tried doing it with nested if else and multiple tokens . . . It’s kinda confusing the first time tho but it was the way I get used to it. About what Slay shared, I haven’t tried it and it looks interesting.. I will give it a try soon too.

shay slay
    Participant

No problem! The first time I tried this way it blew my mind haha. I could do it with a billion if/else statements to get what I want with lacking tokens, but it felt like a lot of work. Then Marby showed me how I could try those number variables instead and I haven’t looked back 🤣 For NPCs it’s gold

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Get help’ is closed to new topics and replies.